Nuova utility SwitchRes

Le Guide ed i Topic importanti in un unico posto !
pucci
Moderatore
Moderatore
Città: San Clemente (RN)
Grazie Ricevuti: 62 volte

Nuova utility SwitchRes

Messaggio da pucci »

Switchres arcade monitor modeline generator and mame wrapper: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=106405.0

qualcuno di voi ha capito come funziona?
di questi tempi sembra esserci tanto fermento nel mondo "metodi 15khz"
Kernel
God of Arcade
God of Arcade
Grazie Inviati: 2 volte
Grazie Ricevuti: 2 volte

Re: Nuova utility SwitchRes

Messaggio da Kernel »

Lo stavo leggendo giusto ieri. Sembra che abbia in parte a che fare con questo: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6140
Sto indagando :)
Kernel
God of Arcade
God of Arcade

Messaggio da Kernel »

Confermo:
E' un'evoluzione del sistema già citato. SwitchRes consente di generare le modelines in automatico, un po' come accadeva con AdvanceMame.
Questo è quanto mi ha detto Calamity nell'altro forum:
Calamity ha scritto:
Kernel ha scritto: There are differences between "Switchres arcade monitor modeline generator and mame wrapper" and this method: http://postback.geedorah.com/foros/viewtopic.php?id=1424 ?
Both methods use similar modeline generation routines. But with VMMaker a static mode list is used, so a carefully selected mode list is needed to cover most situations, and mantaining a heavy ini folder so that each rom is assigned to the right video mode. You can modify VMMaker setup to get a different mode list + inis, but in order to see the results you need to reboot. That's why we say it's static. In a way it's the same method used by Soft-15Khz, in fact it's inspired on that program and Winmodelines, but with a built-in modeline generator that allows the automatization of the process. So with Soft-15Khz you would mantain a custom resolution list in a text file to feed the program with it, with VMMaker the list would be done for you extracting the needed info from Mame.xml. Another important feature is that VMMaker is intended to be used with my hacked Catalyst drivers (CRT_Emudriver), that allow more than a hundred video modes simultaneously, while normal Catalyst only admits 60. On the other hand VMMaker was still (is) on an experimental stage when I joined this thread, so it was limited to fixed-sync arcade monitors. And the dynamic modelines method I was testing would never be added to VMMaker, but to Switchres instead, as it is a much more ambitious project.

Switchres, under Windows, uses a dynamic mode list. That means that modelines can be recalculated on the fly right before launching Mame. So in way, you can see Switchres as the return of AdvanceMame. The method has its own limitations and we are working to get the best of it, but in practice it means you can have infinite modelines under Windows XP. Consider the variety of video modes derived from the resolution, i.e. 320x240. You have it in 50, 60, 57.55 Hz, etc. etc. Normally, you would have to store each of those video modes as a separate modeline. Now, you only have to store an instance of each resolution, say 320x240. All variety of needed vertical refreshes will be calculated out of 320x240 dummy resolution by Switchres.
Calamity ha scritto:
Kernel ha scritto: In the past I've used Triple buffer with no throttle (and soundsync). Smooth scorlling, no stuttering at any resolution/Hz, but It caused heavy input lag.
Now I use only throttle+sync to monitor refresh (and always audiosync). All is fine and I have no input lag but I have to use a resolution with less Hz than the game (e.g. on 60Hz game I have to use 59.7 Hz), otherwise I get some spot accelerations.
What can I get with that new feature?
The input lag issue is a tricky subject. Many people are reporting input lag with triplebuffer, however I have never noticed it myself. I honestly can't see any difference even when using Shmupmame, but that could be because I'm not such a hardcore gamer and my eye is not trained on that. The joysticks on my cab are not the best ones for shmups either. I tended to believe people were having input lag because of choppyness introduced by their lousy setups when enabling triplebuffer with video modes far from correct. But this indeed deserves a deeper study.

What the new patch does is to enable vsync without page flipping (syncfresh vs triplebuffer), and still be able to turn throttle off. So you won't need to use a video mode with less Hz any more to avoid hiccups, by only enabling syncrefresh without triplebuffer/throttle. I would appreciate you tested this and tell us if you still have input lag or not, as I'm not the best one for determining that for the reasons I explained above.

Come avrai notato ne stiamo discutendo proprio con Calmity nell'altro thread.
user9999
Nostalgico
Nostalgico
Città: Cuneo

Messaggio da user9999 »

Senti maaaaaa... funziona anche con le schede nvidia? <-think->
Immagine
Non ci capisco una Sega, non me Nintendo!
Kernel
God of Arcade
God of Arcade

Messaggio da Kernel »

Se usi il livecd si, mentre con windows parla solo di catalyst.
user9999
Nostalgico
Nostalgico
Città: Cuneo

Messaggio da user9999 »

dannaz, toccherà cambiare scheda! 8-)
Immagine
Non ci capisco una Sega, non me Nintendo!
pucci
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio da pucci »

Kernel ha scritto:Confermo:
E' un'evoluzione del sistema già citato. SwitchRes consente di generare le modelines in automatico, un po' come accadeva con AdvanceMame.
Questo è quanto mi ha detto Calamity nell'altro forum:

Come avrai notato ne stiamo discutendo proprio con Calmity nell'altro thread.
Kernel, interessante la tua desanima sulle differenze tra le varie utility. riusciresti a fare una specie di mini trattato sul modo di lavorare delle varie utility (AdvanceMAME, Soft15khz, VideoModeMaker, SwitchRes) da mettere sul forum?

Inoltre sarebbe bello tenere degli aggiornamenti di quel thread tradotti in italiano qui (ho visto che è molto attivo).
Kernel
God of Arcade
God of Arcade

Messaggio da Kernel »

Switchres non l'ho ancora provato e pensavo di non farlo per il momento visto che è in fase "ultra beta" (e sinceramente non ho ancora capito BENE come funziona).

Per gli altri vedo cosa riesco a fare nei prossimi giorni/settimane/mesi/anni 8-)
BossRobot
Affezionato
Affezionato
Città: BARI

Messaggio da BossRobot »

visto che ho problemi sia con soft15khx che con crtemudriver mi dite come funziona questo "nuovo" metodo?
dove è possibile scaricarlo?
pucci
Moderatore
Moderatore

Re: R: Nuova utility SwitchRes

Messaggio da pucci »

switchres è integrato in GroovyMame

Inviato da Motorola Defy+ con Tapatalk 2
Pucci - The Bastard Son of Arcade Italia
"MODerrare humanum est"